The procedure that allows for the creation of a Michigan birth certificate for children adopted in foreign countries by Michigan residents is established in MCL 333.2830.
- $185.00 (Non-refundable filing fee paid to Montcalm County at the time of filing)
- Fee to change the birth record – payable to the State of Michigan – see Application
- Motion and Order for Delayed Registration of Foreign Birth (PCA 350)
- Application to Established Delayed Registration of Foreign Birth (DCH-0855)
- Copy of original foreign birth certificate and foreign Order of Adoption including the English Translations and a Certificate of Translation
- Copy of the two pages of the adoptee’s passport showing the child’s picture and the IR3 stamp.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Must be a resident of Montcalm County.
PLEASE READ THE FORMS CAREFULLY AND COMPLETE ALL FORMS – ANY INCOMPLETE FORMS WILL BE RETURNED.
PLEASE TYPE OR PRINT NEATLY IN BLUE OR BLACK INK. NO PENCIL OR COLORED INK. ANYTHING NOT IN COMPLIANCE WILL BE RETURNED.
KEEP COPIES OF ALL DOCUMENTS FILED WITH THE COURT FOR YOUR RECORDS. COPIES OBTAINED FROM THE COURT ARE $1.00 PER PAGE.
FILE THE ORIGINAL PETITION ALONG WITH THE DOCUMENTS LISTED ABOVE WITH THE COURT. IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT THE DOCUMENTS BE BROUGHT TO THE PROBATE COURT OFFICE BY THE PETITIONER FOR FILING, HOWEVER, FILINGS MAY BE COMPLETED BY MAIL.
Once the petition has been reviewed and processed by the Court, the petitioner will receive a letter by mail from the Court providing you with a signed copy of the Order. The appropriate documents will also be mailed to Vital Records for the creation of the new birth certificate. You will receive the birth certificate directly from the Department of Health and Human Services which may take six to eight weeks.