County Clerk Marriage License Information

To apply for a marriage licenses one of the applicants must live in Montcalm County. Both applicants do not need to be in attendance to apply, however you must provide photo identification for both applicants at the time of applying to prove age and residency.

While your birth certificate is not required, you will need to know the information off from it. You need to know your parent's full names, mother's maiden name, and the state they both were born in. You also must provide social security numbers for both applicants.  You do not need to provide a judgment of divorce if you have been married before. 

The cost is $20.00 at the time of application. The license will then be ready following a 3-day waiting period. Licenses will not be mailed, therefore you must pick your license up after the 3-day waiting period or you may pay the $10 fee to have the 3 days waived and take the license with you the same day. The license will need to be used within 33 days from the date of application.

If both applicants live out of state and are going to be married in Michigan, they apply in the county the marriage will take place in. The fee for an out of state marriage license is $30. If the applicants need to waive the three day waiting period between the date of application and when the license can be picked up, the fee is an additional $10.  

Applicants may compete the Information Needed to Apply for a Marriage License and email it to  Once license is ready, one of the applicants must come into the office to compete the oath and pay for the license.  If you wish to take the license with you the day you take the oath, the $10 waiver fee will be required.  

Copies of marriage records are open to the public. To obtain a certified copy of a marriage license that was applied for in Montcalm County you must either:

  • Apply in person;
  • Send a written request with the fee of $30.00 for the first copy and $5.00 for each additional copy of the same record;
  • Email the Credit/Debit Card Authorization form to along with the Application for a Certified Copy; or 
  • Use the govpaynow link below to pay for the copies with a debit or credit card.  If using the govpaynow link, you must supply the needed information in the other form tab.  Under Event Type please enter Other and in the Other Form please enter the names of the marriage applicants and the year of the marriage. 


Marriage Law
Information needed to apply for Marriage License
Application for Certified Copy of Marriage License issued in Montcalm County

Credit/Debit Card Authorization Form