Howard City looking west - note the wooden sidewaks.
Coburn's Exchange, a 3 story hotel with a balcony on Main St. side, burned down in 1902.
Howard City, in Reynolds Township, was platted in 1868. The railroad reached it in 1869 with the depot being the first structure built at the time. The Howard City Record was first published in August, 1872. The village was a lumber town standing amongst thick growths of pine. There were many lumber mills located in the area and lumber was cheap. Most of the structures were wooden buildings located on Ensley Street, which was named after Benjamin Ensley, an early pioneer in the area. Many of these buildings burned in the fire of 1883. Brick buildings were then built along Edgerton Street, some of which are still standing.