Judicial Court Complex
621 N State Street
Stanton, MI 48888
Main phone numbers (989) 831-7326 or (989) 831-7327
Family Support Division (989) 831-7366
Fax: (989) 831-7417
Public Hours: Monday thru Friday, 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM
The Prosecuting Attorney appears for the State or County in all criminal prosecutions in Circuit Court and District Court, as well as appearances in delinquency, neglect, mental incompentency, and adult guardianship proceedings in Probate Court and Family Division of Circuit Court. Additionally, our Family Support Division receives referrals from the Office of Child Support to establish paternity and support orders in the Circuit Court, Family Division of Circuit Court and Probate Court.
The Prosecuting Attorney shares jurisdiction with the Michigan Attorney General for any crime that is committed in Montcalm County, but is independent of that State office. The Prosecuting Attorney is an elected official with a four-year term, chose at the time of the Presidential election, on the partisan ballot.
The office is divided into the following divisions: Criminal, Family Support and Juvenile. Each division has specific attorneys assigned to it and is structured to serve that division's unique needs. Additionally, the Victim/Witness Unit of the office performs services for victims of crime as mandated under the Crime Victims Rights Act.
The Prosecuting Attorney's office is responsible for other legal functions, including:
- Keeping victims notified of case status, their right to participate, and to protect / preserve their rights.
- Providing information on juvenile offenders to the Montcalm Area Intermediate School District.
- Representing the County in forfeiture actions.
- To prosecute violations of State law in District and Circuit Courts within Montcalm County
- To protect and preserve the rights of victims by complying with the mandates of the Michigan Crime Victim's Rights Act
- To represent the People of the State of Michigan at hearings involving, delinquency, neglect/dependency, and matters of mental competency
Prosecuting Attorney Association of Michigan