On this website general information has been provided regarding the types of cases handled through the Montcalm County Probate Court. The information or instructions provided is the only assistance that the Court can provide. If further information or instruction is necessary, you will need to seek the advice of legal counsel.
1. Determine and complete the appropriate forms. The State Court Administrative Office has created many forms for the types of cases handled in the Probate Court. These forms are used by the Probate Courts throughout the State of Michigan. You may complete and print the forms online. The forms are also available at the Montcalm County Probate Court Office (or any probate office). The Montcalm County Probate Court charges $1.00 per page for any forms provided. Some cases require forms specific to Montcalm County and those forms are also available on this website or at the Montcalm County Probate Court. See Forms
Forms must be typed or printed in blue or black ink – NO PENCIL OR COLORED INK.
Before attempting to file, verify that your forms are complete:
- Have you signed all of the forms?
- Have you listed complete addresses including street number, street name, city, state and zip code?
- Have you listed all of the interested persons?
2. Determine the filing fee: The filing fees may be obtained on this website or at the Probate Court office. You may pay filing fees by cash, check or money order. We do not accept credit cards. Filing fees are non-refundable and must be paid at the time of filing or your filing cannot be accepted.
3. Filing your forms: For any new case, it is strongly recommended that you bring your documents to the court for filing. The Court staff may then verify that your documents are complete and correct and will save delays in returning the documents by mail. You may also obtain a hearing date, if necessary, at that time. If filing in person, please allow at least 15-20 minutes for processing. See Hours/Location If filing by mail include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of documents to you.
Keep copies of all documents filed with the Court for your records and to provide to the interested persons. Copies obtained from the Court are $1.00 per page.